Friday, March 14, 2008

3/11/2008 Fourth session of clicker training

I've had some personal stuff going on in my life so I haven't been doing the clicker training. We started back up today and Leo didn't forget a thing. We always start with targeting on my OJ container. Then we move on to backing up. Today we added a new thing into the mix. Picking his 2 front feet up. My goal is to have him hold his own feet up for me and I'm sure his farrier wouldn't mind it either! LOL I just stood by his shoulder and ran my hand 1/2 down his cannon bone. Eventually he shifted the weight off that hoof, so I clicked and treated. It only took 2 times before he was actually picking his foot all the way up. We only worked on his 2 front feet. I wanted to be close to his head so I could still treat quickly. The problem I ran into was that he would start backing up, which technically DID lift his feet. Just not quite what I was picturing! Maybe it was because we worked on backing right before we switched to the feet? Time will tell I guess.

No comments: