Monday, November 2, 2009

Everything is falling into place

She hasn't eaten any remotes for 1-2 weeks now. She developed what we thought was Separation Anxiety last week. By the time Friday morning came around she tried to eat her way out of the crate. So then we left her uncrated so she wouldn't hurt herself, fully expecting to be at Home Depot this past weekend to fix damage. It's 3 days later of no crate and nothing is chewed on! Nothing is even moved around! Currently our Apt could be condemned with all the clutter. My project this week after work. There's zillions of fun non doggy allowed stuff for Sunshine to get into. Very tempting for a pup.

We were gone all day yesterday and my Dad said he could come watch the football game at our Apt so he could walk the pups at halftime. I don't trust Sunshine outside of the crate for longer than 6 hours for no accidents. She still gets crated during the night. Dad came over and Rainy did her usual "I never thought I would see you again" frenzy at the door. Sunshine barked at Grandpa, then started weaving back and forth. She wanted so badly to go say hello, but was so nervous. She settled for a quick sniff on his head while he was bent over bear hugging/wrestling Crazy Rainy. Sunshine stayed out in the living room while we were showing Grandpa how to work the tv, etc. Normally she would have already retreated to the bedroom safe place.

So we show him how/where to take them for a walk, tell him that if he sees any strangers within the Apt to turn around and just go the other way with Sunshine until she get to her safe distance then let her watch them. (I really must be such a PIA about my dogs ) Plus not to worry if Rainy refuses to pee since she will try to make him walk all over creation to find just the right spot. We gave milkbones and off we went.

When we got back we got report that Sunshine was the only one who peed on their potty walk. What a good super pupper! No potty accidents at all! Plus Sunshine had TWO crazy zoomie fits. One where she ran into the living room jumped on the couch, nipped at Grandpa, then jumped over the back of the sofa, grabbed a toy and ran back into the bedroom. I'm assuming she didn't make contact with her teeth, I was too shocked to ask about that. Plus when Grandpa left she ran up to him for a pet! My jaw felt it was stuck open last night!

She really is starting to become one of the family! I suppose she figures that family members don't stay in crates? Either that or the big bed is so much comfier! I forgot my cell phone this morning so had to go back in after I left. Sunshine was just laying on the big bed eating her milkbone, getting cookie crumbs all over my side. I'm not 100% happy with her being uncrated. I don't trust her not to bite the Apt people if they have to come in. She does bark at all guests but if she's not told by us that it's ok.... well you just never know! Oh well it's working out now!

3 comments:

Jay said...

Sounds as if progress is being made! She sounds very sweet, if hard work! That's why I don't have puppies ... LOL!

It's Silverfish, by the way. :D

Jess said...

She's 2 1/2! LOL her maturity level is much younger though. I think it was just a lack of socialization as a younger puppy. She never got to mature at a correct rate.

Jay said...

I like them once they're five or older. Preferably a LOT older! Sid is only five, but he's a sweetheart.

Looooved having Jim as a very young dog (about 18 mths at a guess when we got him from the shelter) but I do prefer the oldies. Well, someone's got to. ;)